Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Thank you from Mechele!!!

Mechele called last night!!! They actually let her out of solitary confinement on her birthday!! But she didnt have phone privledges until yesterday. She is so very grateful for all the mail, books and blog messages. We also have good news to share, our appeal oral arguments will be held December 2nd. Colin will post details and a message later. As for the "Free Mechele Campaign," we are on hold for now. Focus really needs to be on getting through these oral arguments. The three judge panel will probably not read any mail relating to the case. I would feel more comfortable letting Colin explain the legal process. But, we have to keep writing, sending cards and letting her know how much we love and support her. It is so important to this case that we all send out positive thoughts and focus on this appeal court making the right decision. Once we are granted a new trial, we WILL launch a full-blown campaign to bring Mechele home!! "Thank you" doesn't express the gratitude that Mechele and our entire family feel towards each and everyone of you!!

Sandy

9 comments:

livieandhermommies said...

YAY Mechele - on both counts!!
I am glad they let her return to her room on her birthday and especially glad the oral arguements have FINALLY been scheduled!!!
Nothing but prayers and fingers crossed for a positive outcome...

KTSBerg said...

This is exciting news! I asked Katie L. about this but she wasn't sure. If I made Mechele a scarf would they allow her to have it? Thanks, Katie S.

beemodern said...

Katie,

Mechele may not have anything like that unless we get permission ion in advance from the administration. We can send her cards (not blanks like stationary, but only what we've written to her on), photos, magazines, newspapers, and paperback books. The only sort of sticker that can be on an envelope is the postage. We can't even apply an address label instead of handwriting the return address or they will reject it (I learned that the hard way).
I believe any special permission has to come from the facility superintendent.

If we do send her things she can't keep, they will return it after having opened it and inspected it, and they will take her few funds out of her personal account to pay for the return postage.

I think that especially sucks because who knows what people might send her, including complete strangers, that she has no control over? Before I knew not to, I'd sent her some hard cover books, but fortunately they let her donate them instead of returning them at her expense!

Terri said...

Wow, B, I always use labels. Hmmm.

beemodern said...

You do? They sent mine back and marked my address label as a problem! It must depend on who is working mail on any given day.

JillSmithLewis said...

I just watched the Snapped show. I was very touched on how Mechele and her family are. Whether you did it or not. Mechele is a changed person! Colin is a very lucky man to have a beautiful wife and child! Hats off to Mechele to her hearing in December! Good Luck!

Terri said...

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your comment and your support. I think most of Mechele's family and friends would agree (and I am a good friend of hers) that Mechele is not really a changed person. She was a good person then. She is a good person now. It's partially her big heart that most likely got her into trouble with Kent. She tried to be a friend to him and that got her into a bad situation. Now she's been painted as this she-vixen by the prosecution and the media. That story just isn't true.

JillSmithLewis said...

Terri... I understand what you are totally saying. I was misleading. I don't know Mechele and her family. But I know they look like a loving and supportive family of her. Poor Colin cried at her hearing. My heart went to him. I just hope Mechele goes home really soon. For the sake of her and her family. She is a very beautiful person!

Terri said...

Sorry, Jill! Didn't mean to sound defensive. Thanks for clarifying and for your support.